Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February 23rd. The Worst Weather Ever!

Hey Followers!

I just realized I should probably include dates with my blog updates! Today is February 23rd. It is officially the crummiest day here weather wise. The waves are ridiculous today, and our snorkel ID session was even canceled because of it. Most probably a good idea otherwise I would have drifted out to sea. However, I still managed to get burned! It is a nice breezy change from the pounding sun. I do realize I take the nice weather for granted sometimes. None the less, today has been an eventful day full of studying for my coral exam this Friday!!! We have about 60 or so corals that we need to know. It is difficult to differentiate between some species of coral because they look so similar, and the only way to tell the difference could be something as miniscule as hairs or holes on their stalks. My mind is also saying “I need a break” which is not helpful either. I just have to keep telling myself “one more!”

In other academic news, I find out soon whether or not I get the direct research project of my choosing! I chose to write a justification for the usage of the invasive lionfish as a marine aquarium species for US market. This project will be a lot of hands on with the public and primarily on land (not that I do not want to be in the water!). What I really want to do in life is environmental education. (An excerpt from my justification…) It is through environmental education that the global society can best be impacted. If we can educate the locals on the importance of conserving their marine ecosystem while giving them positive incentives and economic alternatives, we can begin to make a change for the better. I know I cannot please everyone, and I am fully aware I may never change the way things are run around here, however, the fact that I can plant even the slightest thought in their minds is motivation enough.

I used to get to angry when I could not make people understand and follow my ideas and views. However, after working at the Philly Zoo as an interpreter I realized you cannot always change the way people think. The most you can do is plant the seed of knowledge and hopefully they will choose to take the next step. It is a domino effect, and it will take a long time to complete.

Every experience I get under my belt points me in the right direction for my future. I used to want to be a vet, then a marine biologist, then a conservationist, and as of now, I would love to be an environmental educator promoting conservation. I would not mind traveling and doing things similar to what I am doing now for the rest of my life. I would be perfectly content living in a small, one story house (or shack even J) if I could wake up every morning doing something I love. With all that being said, I am eagerly awaiting the professor’s decisions for the projects. Fingers crossed!

Besides today being extremely windy… it was a great success! I went to a local variety store, which is much different than what you are all used to. Their variety stores are usually old run down garages or small sheds with rickety doors, colorful paint peeling off, and mismatched roofs. However, they have the best things! Today I found a BABYRUTH! And for those of you who truly know me, that is my favorite candy bar. Halloween time I would always trade my brother and friends for them. I would hike high and low from 8pm- midnight just to have a satisfying babyruth candy bar. I also got a delicious can of pineapple banana juice. On the walk back we saw the pack of puppies that live across the street at a water hole just outside the center. All but one ran at the sight of us. The other ran right up, tail wagging; tongue out as if he were smiling. I know it is permitted, but I ran in and made up a piece of peanut butter bread for the little guy. He was also pretty mangled up I am sure from other dogs on the island. It is sad, but it is a way of life- Similarly to the Savannah where lions would claim dominance. Some dogs’ fight, others run, and someone always gets hurt. He seems like he is healing up just fine though!

The rest of the day should be a relaxing one. I have a lot of studying to do, but I am slowly learning the material just like before! I am shocking myself that I can remember things, and it is amazing to be floundering around in the ocean and recognize things! I get to apply everything daily. By the way, my last fish exam I scored an 85% which I am thrilled about!!! That was by far the hardest one, but I worked hard and it payed off.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. highly doubtful the weather was worse than the weather was here. We need a blog update lady!

    ReplyDelete