Monday, March 8, 2010

March 1st and 2nd

Myself and the brownies! These girls are little divas





March 1, 2010
It has officially been one month! I cannot believe how the time has flown. It is crazy to think I have been here for 1/3 of the trip! Upon arrival one month ago I would not have expected to be where I am now. I was scared out of my mind, and seeing the blank expressions on the other students’ faces didn’t help either. However, I don’t know if I want to leave! The hardest part for me was getting here. The realization did not hit me until I was here for about 2 days… It is an amazing experience, but going somewhere with other students is a lot easier than going on your own. Looking back, I am glad I did this, and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I am even looking into internships abroad or even the Peace Corps. That is a long while from now; at least I like to think so.


___________________________________________________________________

March 2010
This week I went to Brownies on Wednesday which is the elementary school. This week they asked us to read children’s stories to them. I took “Where the Wild Things Are,” “The Giving Tree,” and “Akimbo and the Lion.” They loved “where the wild things are” and I asked them when the story was all over to make their wild noises, and their sounds filled the classroom and traveled through doors and walls into the other classes! Oops. They are adorable, every time when we walk up to their school they run to the windows and smoosh against the glass waving. They also bust through the doors and run up and hug you or pull you every which way to show you something.
I also went to the bank that day. The bank is only open once a week on Wednesday for 3 hours. The lines are ridiculous, this week it was a 2 hour wait. The guards were in full gear that day, guns and everything. I tried to snap a picture of the one guard but in my attempt to do it without him looking it turned out a little blurry. He also noticed. When I was done with my transaction and walking out of the bank he said “Are you going to print me out a copy of that picture?” Ah, busted…
On our way back to the center my friend Katelyn and I decided to walk by way of the abandoned salt flats and check out the wild flamingos! We hiked through the flats for a good half hour until we were close enough to get a good shot. We also had to be very cautious of the quick sand. My friend Aubrey fell into the quick sand last week after basketball and had to be pulled out by a local! So we walked very carefully! It turned out to be a great success. So all together on the island I have seen wild cats, dogs, falcons, jumping fish, lizards, iguanas, horses, flamingos, enormous spiders, stingrays, sharks… everything but a whale! It is whale migrating season, and the scuba divers have seen them, and I am determined to see one before we leave! Fingers crossed! Thanks for tuning in guys!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't believe you've been there for a month already, time is really flying. Was your research topic accepted? I think I remember you saying that you were waiting to hear about that. I really hope you get to see a whale, they are so amazing! I try to go on a whale watch every fall when I'm in Massachusetts and I love seeing them but would LOVE to be in the water swimming with them.

    Love reading your blog!
    Sloane

    ReplyDelete