Monday, March 8, 2010

March 8th 2010

Our back yard on a gorgeous sunny day! The island that you see in the distance is called Long Cay. We snorkel there as well as do beach clean-ups on the weekends. Some of the students and I plan to swim to a nearby island this weekend and picnic! I will let you know how it goes

March 8, 2010
Hey guys!
Sorry it has been so long since I have updated my blog. This past week was ridiculous! I had three midterms in a period of three days. As soon as I was finished with one exam, I was studying for the next one. The exams were not horrible; they just required a lot of writing. The exams here in general are decent. The ID exams were tough because I was not used to knowing that much information. I was shocked that I retained all of it, and was able to do a great job on the exams. The tests also did not feel like tests. We were flopping around in the water while our instructor pointed out organisms to identify. It was a challenge to write in the water because the current would be pulling you every which way, but it was a great time. I do suggest that if you are coming on this trip or one very similar that you get the biggest slate possible to write on. I have an 8 by 11 and I still feel as though I could use more room.
Besides all the academic jazz, I went to a church concert last week and it was fantastic! It was a very small church, but all the schools were invited (k-12) and the community, and we all found a way to fit inside. People were standing in the isles, along the wall, and outside. There were bishops that were flown in from Provo and performances by the children. It was education week in TCI and each school was performing. There were interpretive dances, bands, duets, and the young kids sang a song about the Lord. They were adorable! Half of them were passed out in the pew before they were about to perform, they could not hold a beat, and they were all looking for the reassuring smiles of their parents. We were there for 2 hours before we had to leave for class again. A typical service here can last anywhere from an hour to 8 hours on a Sunday. Everyone here abides by “island time” meaning things start when they feel like starting.
I went to a Dance-0-Rama this past Thursday at the Regatta. The Regatta was built for the Queen of England when she came to visit many years ago. She came to tell the people of South Caicos how important tourism was and that the community should get involved. Now the Regatta is used for community events. So this past Thursday was a fundraiser for the Iris Stubbs elementary school. It was a $5 entry fee and over 15 performances- Everything from a ballet piece to mainly hip hop. The music was amazing, I’d never heard it before! The locals here are so friendly that one of them, Conrad, gave his ipod to a student to download his music. At the dance-0-rama the MC asked for crowd participation to dance the Macarena. My two friends and I danced. They called us the School for Field Studies crew. Little kids danced with us too, and they killed us! These kids can really shake it! I had my first Conch fritter experience there as well as sweet potato bread. Conch is delicious. Plain and simple. A conch fritter are dough balls that have conch inside. And the sweet potato bread was as heavy as a brick. We stayed for a good two hours before we decided to head back to finish studying.


No comments:

Post a Comment